Feeds:
Posts
Comments

VPurpleStripeSome friends came over to work in the wood workshop and in the studio today. I kept her company while she cut out a dress and I got some more weaving done. As I said earlier, I’ll be using the same repeat as is in the warp. Today I finished the first purple weft stripe. I was pretty pleased with it under tension, but when I released the tension I noticed I’ve got some weft loops that appeared. I’m guessing this is a function of not having a straight fell line. Anyone who has experience weaving linen, is welcome to give me advice on this matter!

I will either be making a square 30″ x 30″ blanket or a rectangular 30″ x 60″ blanket. I can’t remember how much warp I put on the loom, as it’s been over  a year since I started this one. I will be finished soon though!🙂

Every Little Bit Helps!

How true that is! I warped up V’s baby blanket before she was born. I got it all wound onto the back beam and then the dreaded lack of motivation set in! Now that I’ve moved home, which means that I don’t have to go down into the basement to my studio, I’ve found some new motivation. Since September, I have threaded the heddles, sleighed the reed, tied on and finally begun weaving! In the last 2 day’s I’ve woven 6 inches. Everything is going very smoothly now. I’m enjoying the loom this blanket is on, a venerable Lansinger I inherited from the high school’s art teacher. The beater bar has a nice ledge that the boat shuttle truly sails across. I can weave an inch in probably under 10 mins though I haven’t officially timed it yet!
VWeaving I’ve managed to accomplish all this, plus warp another blanket (only 14“ wide on the loom, but I’ll be weaving two lengths and stitching them together), prepared most of the warp for the colour gamp and finished weaving off the first section of the knight’s cloak.
Once I’ve finished these two blankets, I want to warp the colour gamp and the next two sections of the knight’s cloak. Then I want to keep up my studio time and spend a little bit each day on those two projects, plus my tapestry sampler. I’ll also need to tie on a dummy warp to Sophi (the Lansiger) and work on cleaning the metal bits that hold the heddles in the shafts. These don’t appear to come out of the shaft frame, so there’s no since in unthreading and rethreading everything. I think I’ll take a page out of the production weaver’s book and just dedicate this loom to all my 16/2 linen projects I can dream up, shawl, shawls, shawls. As long as I spend a half hour to an hour in the studio every day I should get well through my weaving to do list in no time at all.
Every little bit helps!

Blankets Abound

With all my friends and relatives reproducing like made the last few years. I find myself with looms full of baby blankets! Not only do I have Miss V’s blanket tied on and the header woven, yesterday I sat down and warped up a blanket for my niece. As often happens with these things now I feel it’s only fair to weave a blanket for each baby in my “family”. This would mean that I would have at least 3 more to go, one for the Shuss-Taylor Clan and now 2 for the Jones family.
Here are photos of Miss Arianna’s blanket:
ABabyB.jpg

AriannaBlanket.jpg

After baby blankets, I feel some shawls coming on, hopefully I can figure out how to do a diamond twill on my Kromski Harp (rigid heddle loom).
Weaving will abound!

Testing

So I’ve been playing around with my new site quite a bit. I’ve added a home page and changed the blog to a non-root directory. This post is to test to make sure when I go to add new posts that they actually show up! If this works then i can focus on making sure my 3rd party posting apps work with the new structure, change my raverly and wevolution feeds to the new blog structure and finally migrate all my pages onto the new structure! Fingers crossed!

Blanket Update

  • 2 actual threading errors corrected
  • 2 errors in tying on corrected
  • 2 warp threads that broke due to threading error #2 mostly fixed

Weaving should begin in earnest tomorrow.

V's blanket

V's Blanket Tied On

All is well from the front however the back is a different story.

I’m in the process of getting advice on how best to fix the problem that developed in the back.

WarpProblems

Posted by ShoZu